Arranges the books needed for the celebration, marking all of the divisions. He or she lays out the vestments and anything else needed for the celebration, such as cruets, chalices, ciboria, linens, oils, processional crosses, and candles.
The Sacristan Ministry has been active since the very first Mass at St. Clare of Assisi. We started with just a few sacristans, and while we have grown in numbers, there is always room for more. Our responsibilities are to set up for Mass and clean up afterwards.
We prepare the altar, the credence table, and the tabernacle; and have a checklist to make sure we cover all the details.
- Once the sanctuary is ready, we put the hosts out in the narthex and prepare the gifts for the offertory.
- We verify that the lectors and extra-ordinary ministers are present, and if not we find a substitute.
- We invite 2 or more people to bring the offertory gifts to the altar.
- Very often parishioners will approach us with questions or need assistance and we help the best we can.
- Once Mass has begun, we remain available to help with any last minute details if needed.
- After Mass we either do a reset for the next Mass or put everything away in the Sacristy.
Volunteer requirements: Background check and VIRTUS Training
Contact the Ministry Leader listed below to volunteer for this ministry